Planning Ahead Checklist ✔
When a loved one dies, you are grief-stricken and it can be difficult to focus and remember details. We recommend creating a Planning Ahead Checklist, so you and your family have everything needed to begin the funeral or memorial preparation process.
You may use our online Staab Planning Ahead Form and submit as little or as much information as you would like. You may also call us at: (217) 528-6461 to set up a free no cost obligation visit with us which is the easiest way yet to have your wishes recorded.
Here’s a list to make sure you are prepared when the time comes:
- Full legal name and address
- Date and place of birth
- Name of father
- Name of mother & her maiden name
- Marital status (married, divorced, never married, widowed)
- Education – elementary, high school, college, graduate school
- Occupation and last place of employment
- The name, mailing address, e-mail, and phone number of person in charge of these arrangements (ie. next of kin or power of attorney for healthcare)
- Social security number
Veteran & Military Service Information
- Date of enlistment
- Date of honorable discharge
- Name(s) of war/conflict(s) toured
- Serial number
- Honorary discharge papers (DD214)
Biographical Information Needed
- Names, town and state residence of survivors (don’t forget brothers, sisters and possible close friends or partners)
- Chronological order of places of residence (optional)
- Alumni, fraternal, service and union memberships
- Volunteer positions
- Religious affiliation, including church memberships and involvements
- Special hobbies, interests and awards received
- Special recognitions or accomplishments
- Work history (positions held, years of service, awards, etc.)
Funeral or Memorial Preferences
- Where would you like a visitation or a memorial gathering, same day or evening prior to ceremony? (ie. funeral home, church or other gathering space)
- Where should the funeral or memorial ceremony be held?
- Preferred clergy
- Names of pallbearers (six to eight) and honorary pallbearers
- Preferred music, bible verses or poetry
- Should there be any special services by civic or volunteer groups?
- Merchandise at funeral home to select, (ie. casket, outer burial container, urn, urn vault, keepsake jewelry, etc.)
- Preferred clothing (including underclothing, shoes are optional), jewelry, or other personal effects (glasses, rosary, medals, etc.)
- Is there a preferred hair stylist or barber?
- Types of flowers or color arrangements for casket sprays or memorial urn wreaths
- Burial cemetery/property information or deed
- Charitable donations that will be made in your name or the person you are planning for
- What newspapers should we be contacting?
- Picture(s) for obituary (physical or digital)
- Is a monument or grave marker work to be done by STAAB Monument Company?
- How many certified copies of the death certificate will you need?
- Other various special instructions
Location of Important Documents and Passwords
Indicate on the lines the location of the various important papers by inserting the following letters: H – Home W – Work B – Safe Deposit Box S – Safe A – Attorney O – Other
- __ Will
- __ Birth certificate
- __ Marriage license
- __ Life insurance policies
- __ Health insurance policies
- __ Property & damage insurance policies
- __ Automobile insurance policies
- __ Military honorable discharge papers (DD214)
- __ Copy of mortgage or lease
- __ Deed to home or other properties
- __ Vehicle titles
- __ Certificate of burial rights (deed)
- __ Tax return and information
- __ Bank book, checkbooks, or statements
- __ Other important documents or valuables
- Children, relatives and friends to notify of your funeral or memorial plans, so they know to contact STAAB
- Think of where you may want a reception following services
- Take any notes for questions you may have for us and we will assist you in answering them