Aftercare Checklist ✔
A helpful list of details that must be addressed after the services of a loved one.
To be addressed immediately:
- Contact your loved one’s place of employment.
- Contact the Veterans Administration, if applicable.
- Social Security is contacted by STAAB® as part of the state death certificate filing process
Within 1-2 weeks:
- Obtain certified copies of your loved one’s death certificate from STAAB® (you will need these to complete many of the steps below).
- File all life insurance claims. STAAB® will assist with this process if you deem necessary, for no additional cost.
- Notify the post office to forward mail, if applicable.
- Notify insurance companies (auto, home owner’s, pensions, health, Medicare, etc.).
- Notify banks, credit card companies and loan organizations.
- Meet with a probate attorney.
Within 1-2 months:
- Select a monument or grave marker at STAAB® Monument Company or be sure final date engraving has been ordered.*
- Send thank you notes.
- Notify your loved one’s doctor’s office.
- Pay any outstanding bills (utilities, internet, phone, cable, rent, etc.).
- Discontinue any utilities if needed (including internet, phone, or cable)
- Notify your loved one’s financial adviser.
- Notify credit reporting and security agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion and LifeLock) to minimize the chance of identity theft.
- Close email and website accounts.
- Close or change social media accounts. Some sites will allow you to change the page to a memorial page and set up someone as the page administrator.
- Transfer property titles (house, car, etc.).
- Cancel your loved one’s driver’s licence.
- Cancel any outstanding memberships (gyms, professional organizations, fraternities/sororities, etc.)
- Cancel any subscriptions (magazines, newspapers, streaming services, etc.)
- Identify any insurance policies with your loved one listed as the primary beneficiary, and contact the insurance carrier to make appropriate adjustments.
Within the 1st year:
- File your loved one’s final tax return.
- Notify the election board in your loved one’s primary state of residence.
- Stay in touch with our AFTERCARE, RESOURCES and CALENDAR pages for any support you may need. This step may be needed within the first few weeks or months following the death of your loved one.
- Contact STAAB® if interested in making funeral or memorial arrangements for yourself or a loved one.*
* Some of these details can be addressed in advance. Please contact our funeral home if you are interested in discussing or making your own arrangements.